Instructions for Applying ScaleAwayBIO concentrated descaling
solution in hot water geysers from 50 litre to 200 litre geysers, using the C20 System Descaling Cart.
Circulating ScaleAway through geyser to dissolve limescale build-up.
After descaling flush to sewer from furtherest hot water tap.
Turn off all electrical supply to the geyser using the isolator switch.
1. Ensure an adequate water supply to dilute or neutralize the spent descaling chemical, so that disposal does not contravene local regulations.
2. Isolate water inlet and outlet connections to the hot water geyser to be descaled, capping them off if necessary.
3. Couple flow and return hoses from descaling pump to the water inlet and outlet of the geyser to be descaled.
4. If it is anticipated that descaling is to be a routine maintenance procedure, consider installing valved tee-pieces in the standard flow and return connections
to the geyser, terminating in 1/2” or 3/4” BSP male threads. This will enable immediate coupling of the descaling pump whenever
descaling is required for future preventative maintenance.
5. The pump connection to the lower point of the geyser should be through a valve, as a precaution. Failing this, if the descaling pump
is mounted below the geyser being descaled, power failure to the pump would result in the head of water in larger geysers overflowing the pump tank, unless
prevented by closing the valve.
6. Connections should be made so that there is a closed circuit between the pump output hose, through the geyser to the return hose.
7. Venting of the carbon dioxide gas evolved during descaling is achieved through the pump tank filler cap aperture. The cap should be screwed on by no more than
one quarter of a turn. This is sufficient to vent the gas, but at the same time reduces fumes and prevents splashes.
8. Connect the pump to a suitable earthed power supply. As the pump will be used in a damp location, a residual current circuit breaker plug should be used.
9. On larger models of the System Descaling Carts, the flow reverser handle points in the direction of flow of the liquid. Turn the handle so that it initially points towards the hose going to the lower water
inlet connection. The hose from the top of the water outlet connection will then be the return to the pump tank.
10. Prior to adding descaling chemical to pump tank, first ‘prove’ the circuit with fresh water alone. Add water to pump tank to approx 10cm above minimum
liquid level, switch on pump, and Immediately open the valve detailed in point 5 above, to allow circulation to commence. If water level drops initially,
add more water to pump tank, and check that all connections are tight.
11. To commence descaling, slowly add descaling chemical into pump tank. Wait until liquid is returning into the descaling pump tank from the geyser being
descaled, and check to see if there is a build-up of foam on top of the liquid in the pump. If so, carefully add ScaleAwayDEFOAMER to the tank. This may happen when
there is a large amount of limescale in the geyser's waterways.
12. As circulation commences, bubbles and foaming will be seen in the return hose to the pump, indicating that limescale is being dissolved. If foam formation is
excessive, carefully remove descaling pump tank cap, and add ScaleAwayDEFOAMER to the descaling pump tank to stop the foaming.
SAFETY & HANDLING
13. Reverse the direction of flow periodically, checking all connections for tightness and absence of leaks.
14. Scale removal can be considered complete when bubbles are no longer seen in the return pipe, and yet the descaling solution is still sufficiently strong to
remove hard water deposits. To check if the descaling chemical is still active you may drop a sample of limescale into the solution, and observing if there is
any effervescence (Even an antacid tablet like Rennies ot Tums can be used).
15. For greater accuracy, a pH meter, or pH indicator paper, may be used to check the pH of the descaling solution. Once the pH has risen to 3.5 to 4, its ability
to dissolve limescale and corrosion deposits is effectively spent, and more descaling chemical or a fresh solution will be required.
16. After draining off the spent descaling chemical, flush the descaled geyser with fresh water. Many natural waters are slightly alkaline, and water flushing may be
all that is required. Alternatively, circulate a 1% solution of ScaleAwayNEUTRALISING-CRYSTALS through the geyser for 15 minutes, drain, and then flush with clean
water until clean.
17. FWF ScaleAway System Descaling Carts C40 and C60 are available as FWF models. These have an integral fresh water
flushing facility. When descaling is complete, the spent descaling solution may be pumped to waste along the dump hose as follows:
18. If the flow reverser lever is to the left, twist the right-hand dump valve through 180 degrees to show the word ‘dump’, ensuring that the left-hand valve remains in
the ‘circulation’ position. (If the flow reverser lever is to the right, twist the left-hand dump valve through 180 degrees to show the word ‘dump’, ensuring that the
right-hand valve remains in the ‘circulation’ position.)
19. When ‘dumping’, the water level in the pump tank will fall by the same volume as is being dumped. Open the mains water supply valve and adjust to allow fresh
water to enter the tank at the same rate as water is exiting the dump hose. Make sure that the tank water level remains at least 10 cm (4”) above the minimum mark.
Continue dumping until fresh water is leaving the end of the dump hose.
20. Turn the valve which is in ‘dump’ mode through 180 degrees to restore full circulation through the pump and the system. Close the water supply inlet valve once
the level in the reservoir has stabilized between minimum and maximum markers. Allow fresh water to circulate through the pump and the system. Close the water supply
inlet valve once the level in the reservoir has stabilized between minimum and maximum markers. Allow fresh water to circulate through the descaled geyser
for ten minutes.
21. Operators may prefer to neutralize the spent Descaling solution “in situ” whilst the liquid is still circulating, by carefully adding Neutralizing Crystals to
the solution until the pH is brought up to a value of 7, and then flushing to drain. When using Neutralizing Crystals, if foaming is
excessive, carefully add a little ScaleAwayFOAM BREAKER to the descaling pump tank.
22. Disconnect the System descaling Cart hoses from the geyser and reconnect the geyser to water supply and and feed pipes.
23.Open isolator valve to fill geyser with water, then turn on electrical isolator switch.
COMPLETE SYSTEM CLEANING
While descaling the geyser, one may allow some of the descaling chemical to be enter the entire hot water system by opening the furtherest tap in
the system until descaling chemical is expelled. Close the tap to retain the descaling chemical inside the pipes untill the geyser is clean.
Once the descaling chemical has been neutralized for disposal, it can also be dispelled from the system by opening the taps and allowing the spent descaling
chemicals to rinse out the pipes and taps in the system.
When working with acidic descaling chemicals, always wear suitable protective clothing and goggles. Refer to instructions on labels of descaling chemicals, and refer
to Material Safety Data Sheets. Caps should be kept securely on all chemical containers whilst not in use. To avoid splashes, operators should not stand directly
over the open neck of either chemical containers or the filling neck of the descaling pump whilst pouring or adding chemicals.
NB. When descaling with any acid, there is the possibility of hydrogen being evolved. Hydrogen is a flammable gas, and the working area should be well ventilated.
Avoid smoking nearby, or any other means of ignition.
It is stressed that these are guidance notes only, and the above information is based on the present state of our knowledge of geysers in general.
It is given in good faith, but due to the diverse and varied nature of such equipment, the user must satisfy himself that the above procedure is viable in the
Why Use ScaleAway’s System Descaling Carts to Clean Geysers?
- Geysers will be cleaned in only hours without disassembling any part of the equipment.
- Cleans down to the original surface without pitting.
- Removing the scale build-up allows your geyser to operate more efficiently saving on unnessesary electical costs.
- Using ScaleAway's descaling chemicals will extend the usable life of your geyser, especially when used as a part of a
regularly scheduled preventative maintenance program.
Contact us TODAY to purchase these System Descaling Carts so that you can descale geysers for your customers as often as you see fit,
enabling maximum heat transfer efficiency at all times!
ScaleAwayBIO concentrate is described as being a “green descaler” because of its ecological advantages.
Contact us TODAY to to purchase this product!
Return to the ScaleAwayBIO Page
Return to the Products Page