The purpose of a cooling system is to remove heat from heat-producing equipment or processes, and water is the most common
medium to transfer that heat.
Experience has taught us that no two industrial cooling water systems are alike. Each system is impacted by the raw water
source, air quality, flow rates, metallurgy, temperatures, humidity, operating procedures, and a host of other factors.
There is no one size fits all solution - the best cooling water treatment programs are tailored to fit each system.
Complete water treatment solution Ion-Exchange, Side-Stream Filter & Chemical Dosing
Our treatment programs start with an assessment of the process, water chemistry, cooling requirements and metallurgy
in your system, which allows us to determine whether there is a tendency to corrode, scale, foul, or a combination of
the three. Our ScaleAwayA912 water treatment chemical used in various concentrations is effectively used for
the reduction of these issues in industrial cooling water systems.
All water treatment chemicals worldwide minimize and control scale build-up within the reticulation, but do not
eliminate scale build-up at the heat transfer areas of the system like inside the heat exchangers, oil coolers or
condensers heat transfer tubes.
These hot zones need to be Periodically Descaled using a descaler like ScaleAwayBIO or
ScaleAway can customize a solution for your specific system and work to find savings in
the following areas:
1. Increase heat transfer efficiency by eliminating fouling within heat exchangers with scale inhibitors.
2. Prevent fouling that results from the precipitation of constituents.
3. The settling of suspended matter, and microbial growth.
4. Reduce maintenance and plant downtime with corrosion inhibitors.
5. Maintain integrity of metal components by mitigating corrosion and pitting, which cause system failures.
6. Increase Cycles of Concentration with proprietary chemical solutions.
7. Reduce the amount of makeup water and chemicals required and lower your sewer costs.
8. Maintain design efficiency in cooling tower water with biocides.
9. Reduce microbial growth on cooling tower fill resulting in increased splash effect that maximizes air contact and increases evaporation rates.
Open Loop Systems – Evaporative Cooling Towers
Open recirculating systems provide the most common form of industrial cooling, continually recycling and reusing the same
water for equipment-cooling needs. In these systems, water after it leaves the cooling tower is pumped to industrial
applications using heat exchangers, condensers, air compressor jackets, or process reactors.
In this cycle, the water returning to the cooling tower water has absorbed excess heat which is then dissipated by passing
the water over a water cooling tower where evaporation and cooling takes place. The cooling tower exposes the heated flowing
water to air, causing a percentage (~1-3%) of the water to evaporate, which removes approximately 1,000 BTU’s per two
litres of water that is evaporated. This results in cooling of the water that is not evaporated which is then recirculated
through the system.
Reusing cooling water results in water savings as well as chemical savings, as the chemistries are retained in the
system. However, problems associated with corrosion, deposition, and microbial growths become more severe for
several reasons. First, the process of evaporation concentrates the amount of dissolved and suspended solids
in the circulating water, leading to deposition. Secondly, the warm temperatures in open recirculating cooling
towers are optimum for biological growth. Lastly, the operation of a water cooling tower tends to scrub airborne
contaminants from the air which can accumulate in the circulating water, causing fouling and microbial growth.
ScaleAway has experience treating every kind of water cooling tower including natural draft, mechanical, cross flow,
and counter flow cooling tower designs.
Milti-functional water treatment chemical ScaleAwayA912 for dosing Industrial Cooling Towers.
Closed Loop Systems – Industrial Water Chillers
A dirty chiller will adversely affect operations and require more power (increasing energy costs) to get the same cooling output as a clean chiller.
A dirty chiller system also has to work harder, which puts excessive strain on the motors and the integral mechanical systems that include pumps and bearings.
The end result, obviously, is a shorter operating life of the system.
Milti-functional water treatment chemical ScaleAwayA900 for dosing Industrial Water Chillers.
ScaleAway's expertise with closed loop water systems includes the following:
1. Chilled water systems used in process cooling water loops.
2. Chilled water thermal storage systems and ice making equipment.
3. Hot water systems that generate tempered water for space heating.
4. Chilled water systems that generate cold water used to produce cool air for comfort air conditioning.
5. Chilled water systems used to produce cool air for humidity control.
Our service technicians have expertise with all associated equipment including evaporative
condensers, shell and tube heat exchangers, plate and frame heat exchangers, etc.
Information on ScaleAway Automated Chemical Dosing System
Return to the Industrial Water Chillers Page
Return to the Closed Loop Cooling Systems Page