Heat transfer equipment like heat exchangers and hydraulic oil coolers in many manufacturing facilities are very crucial
in everyday operations.
They are designed to transfer heat in the form of kinetic energy from one liquid to another. While transferring heat,
the equipment over a period of time, will collect limescale and rust on the waterside of the unit.
Heat Exchanger Intensive Cleaning!
Once the equipment is too blocked for our descaling chemicals to circulate, the equipment needs to be taken out of
production, oil drained and the oil cooler sent to our workshop for intensive cleaning or even worse - component replacement!
This heat exchanger was cleaned out using the following steps:
Step 1 - Removed oil cooler collected from customers factory.
Step 2 - Flushed out for a 6 hour period with one of our specially formulated descalers.
Step 3 - Rodded out using bevelled stainless steel rods.
Step 4 - Pressure cleaned.
Step 5 - Tubes polished with special round copper brushes.
Step 6 - Assembled and pressure tested.
Step 7 - Delivered to customer the following day.
Step 8 - Put back into production.
Huge financial losses to industries are as a result of breakdowns, unplanned shutdowns, process contamination, high product
reject rate, expensive parts replacements etc.
Return to the Heat Exchanger/Oil Cooler index page
Descaling Procedure for preventative maintenance using the "System Descaling Cart"
- Isolate and drain the water-side of the exchanger to be cleaned.
- Place a 25mm ball valve and swage adaptor between the isolation valves and the heat exchanger on both the supply and
- Attach the ScaleAway System Descaling Cart pump and hoses so the descaling agent like ScaleAwaySFA will be pumped in the bottom or supply,
and back out the top or return.
- Begin pumping the diluted descaling agent into the exchanger.
- Continue circulating the solution for the recommended amount of time. As the circulation progresses and
the descaling agent dissolves the deposits inside the unit, the volume will increase. To account for the increase in
volume, please add water to the ScaleAway System Descaling Cart tank, as needed. The calcium deposit will take
up volume within the heat exchanger, so you will not be able to add the total amount of descaling agent required.
If you begin adding a lot of water, please caution, it is possible there is a leak in the system. ScaleAway descaling agents have corrosion inhibitors included to
protect the underlying metal from corrosion, but the application of descaling agents may expose pre-existing under deposit corrosion (pitting, holes or
similar damage) that can result in leaks in pipes, equipment or systems.
- It is a good idea to periodically check the effectiveness of the descaling solution while circulation is in progress.
This can be accomplished by utilizing a pH meter and as long as the solution retains a low pH, the product is active. Should
the circulating solution reach a pH of 4.0 to 4.5 before the recommended time is up, you will need to add more
descaling agent and possibly extend the circulation time.
- Upon completion of the recommended circulation time, the solution may be purged to a normal sewer and flushed with
water. This process is completed by placing the return hose in the drain and adding water to the ScaleAway System Descaling Cart's tank until the discharge line runs clear.
- The heat exchanger unit is ready to be returned to service.
- The same instructions may be used for plate and frame type heat exchangers.
Please note: Cooling water may be either tube side or shell side. The descaling agent must be pumped in through the bottom and
out through the top.
Why Use the ScaleAway’s System Descaling CartTM or the ScaleAway’s Scheduled Preventative Maintenance PlanTM?
- Your equipment will be cleaned in only hours without disassembling any part of the equipment.
- Equipment can also be cleaned without any down-time (cleaning on the run).
- Cleans down to the original surface without pitting.
- ScaleAway "descaling agents" are safe on copper, copper-nickel, bronze, brass, iron, mild steel, stainless steel and cast iron. For aluminium use ScaleAwayMSA
- Removing the scale build-up allows your equipment to operate more efficiently with less down-time.
- ScaleAway "descaling agents" will extend the usable life of your equipment, especially when used as a part of a
regularly scheduled preventative maintenance program.